JUST A GLIMPSE...

It has become my habit to look around and appreciate sights and sound a step away. It brings out the contemplative side of my personhood that keeps on searching for anything that can catch attention. And in this world of constant change and countless angles, I could say life is a kaleidoscope of experiences of different people on almost everything that comes along the way.


I invite you to join me in my journal as I feature the colourful panorama of this modern life seen from different perspectives. Allow me to take you to see other sides… even the unexplored dimensions as I further search, dissect, scrutinize, and rediscover anything under the sun. This blog is a feast of the many fascinating things about life and what it has to offer.


Go through the pages and have a peek… enjoy the kaleidoscope, then let your mind speak!

PED MERCADO

alone time



Many people dread to be alone. Maybe it is because of the deafening silence that goes with it or maybe the absence of someone to talk to is something unbearable. There are many “maybes”, but let me think otherwise.

There was a time I had to make a very important decision in my career path. There were so many advices, both solicited and unsolicited, coming from different people. They told me to do this and do that, but still deep within me, something was not certain. Then, for almost a week I went into hibernation mode. I spent most of my time in silence and being in places all by myself. I don’t know what happened, but after sometime I gained clarity in thinking. My thoughts were no longer shrouded by cobwebs and I finally made a stand for my final decision. I am not saying I made the a perfect decision, but I felt a sense of strength that I could pull through whatever consequences were on the way. Sometimes, it pays being alone.

I had a very busy year way back in 1999. I had a new job and I couldn’t see a blank space on my schedule board. It was tiring yet fun. I was everywhere. Almost every day I got to blend in with people from all walks of life. My mobile phone was ringing from time to time, my beeper kept on buzzing and my planner was always full of meetings, appointments, workshops, seminars and rehearsals. There was even a time I had 72 hours of non-stop work. After that, I went home and slept for 24 hours straight. I turned off my beeper and mobile. For five days, I cut myself to the world. I stayed in my room and spent the time being alone without disturbance. Of course, I went back to work, but the experience made me feel recharged. Sometimes work and other people can be tiresome and a short period of solitude can make the exhaustion go away.


During my quiet moments, I don’t really have a ritual. I just let my imagination flow while listening to music. I stop thinking of complicated thoughts while watching a funny movie. I sketch and draw a lot of things. And most especially, I sleep soundly.

Now, I always look forward to my “alone time” every now and then. It is my way of meditation. It is my way of building a strong self. It is my way of being my true self. It is in fact a relaxation, the most affordable way.

No comments: